When my 4 and half year old said “mama please let’s read Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ ” I was a bit irritated. This might be the 20th or 30th time he is reading this book and now he wanted it to be read for his Chooku Booku friends. The moment I refused he started giving me reasons why it should be read to his young friends :
1. It’s one of my favourite authors.
2. Look at the bright illustrations any child would love it.
3. One can learn the days of the week.
4. Younger kids will learn to count 1,2,3….
5. You can ask them which of the food the Caterpillar eats are healthy.
6. Moral: not to eat junk food coz the Caterpillar gets a stomach ache and becomes fat. Gets lazy and doesn’t do any work.
7. You can teach the metamorphosis from one egg to a beautiful butterfly.
8. Classify food groups fruits, diary and meat
9. We can dance to the tune of ‘yum yum yum…its a hungry caterpillar song’
10. WE CAN MAKE OUR OWN BOOK OF HUNGRY CATERPILLAR!
Huh! Finally I had to be convinced if my son could actually find so many reasons to read the book imagine how many could a bunch of 10 find. So I agreed and we read Carle’s Caterpillar.
For those who do not know the story line it’s a simple story of how on one sunday in the moonlight there’s a tiny egg which lays on the leaf and in the warm sun, comes out a caterpillar who is propelled by his hunger to look for food.
Between Monday and Friday, he eats his way through a great deal of fruits- 1 apple,2 pears,3 plums, 4 strawberries, 5 oranges. But on Saturday, his hunger really gets the better of him, and he eats through a piece of chocolate cake, an ice cream cone, a pickle, a slice of Swiss cheese, some salami, a lollipop, a piece of cherry pie, one sausage, a cupcake, and a slice of watermelon. And what happens once he catches a stomach ache and decides to eat a nice green leaf and rests in the cocoon is the climax.
We were nearly 16 of us in the chookubooku compartment. We enjoyed reading the book and i was surprised when 2 year old sarayu, vibha, kushi and Siri were able to guess the sunday, monday tuesday …..so well. The moment I said next day they all went ‘Monday’ ‘Tuesday’.
Avyukt, Aarav, Riddanth and Rishab were giggling away to glory when they were saying “but he was still hungry”.
The kids were super thrilled to do their own book of very hungry caterpillar and they even danced to the song ”
Hungry Caterpillar Song.mov: http://youtu.be/28gE7x-LfeU